Sunday, February 21, 2016

The 13th Amendment

Dear Diary,
A new amendment has been proposed to Congress. Its name is the Thirteenth Amendment. If this amendment is ratified, there will no longer be slavery anywhere in the United States. In this past February, there was a meeting between the vice president of the Confederacy, Alexander Stephens, and Lincoln to discuss a possible way to end the war. The South would agree with anything that meant there was going to be no slavery in their future. This meeting did not go as well as hoped. The war was not able to end in February. The Thirteenth Amendment already got its approval from Lincoln. We just need Congress to approve it. I really hope they do. I believe that all men and women should be free and equal. Not many people believe in what I believe in, but enough at least agree with me that they should be free. Slaves do not deserve to go through the torture they face. They should not be slaves in the first place. I hope that Congress is able to see things from my point of view. I do hope they ratify this amendment. Here is a photo of the amendment:

That's all for now Diary,
Rebecca

13th Amendment. N.d. Web. 21 Feb. 2016. <http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-
        YC8W6qLuaiM/Ui6OscY7JyI/AAAAAAAAHDY/wCMMSBwAI8M/s6
        40/amendment+13.png>.

No comments:

Post a Comment